Voices from the Valley (formerly “25 Stories from the Central Valley”) features a bilingual photo exhibit, interactive theater performances, teaching tools, oral histories, and a news feed/archive about the environmental justice movement in California’s San Joaquin Valley. I designed it in collaboration with environmental justice advocates around the 25 interviews I conducted with women environmental justice leaders for my Master’s thesis at UC Davis.
Playback Theater Performances with Kairos Theater Ensemble (slideshow)
- September 21, 2010 at the United Farmworkers of America’s 40 Acres, Delano. Kickoff evening event for the second San Joaquin Valley Funders’ Tour organized by the Women’s Foundation of California.
- May 8, 2009 at the UC Davis Buehler Alumni Center
- Photo exhibit at the Fresno Regional Foundation. Spring/summer, 2012.
- Slideshow shown at the Labor Across the Food System conference, Santa Cruz, CA. February 5, 2012.
- Slideshow shown at community reading and Japanese anti-nuclear benefit, The Opening, Santa Cruz, CA. October 22, 2011.
- Photo exhibit at the San Joaquin River Parkway and Conservation Trust. February – March, 2011
- Photo Exhibit at the Nelson Gallery exhibit space in the UC Davis Buehler Alumni Center. April 23 – August 23, 2009
I speak about this project regularly. Check out my CV for a list of classroom, conference and community presentations.
Other use of photos
- Photos contributed for use in “Land of Risk/ Land of Opportunity: Cummulative Environmental Vulnerabilities in California’s San Joaquin Valley” by Jonathan London, Ganlin Huang and Tara Zagofsky. UC Davis Center for Regional Change, November, 2011.
- Cover photo of Pesticide Drift and the Pursuit of Environmental Justice by Jill Harrison, MIT Press, 2011.
- Slideshow accompaniment to “Global Warming Law Shifts Responsibility from Polluters to Communities” by Jeff Conant, AlterNet, April 21, 2011.
- Earthjustice newsletter and blog post for a national campaign to create pesticide buffer zones, 2009-2010.
- River parkway exhibit features Valley’s people, Vida en el Valle, by Rebecca Plevin, February 16, 2011.
- Women Lead the Fight for Pesticide Reform in California’s Central Valley Ecosalon.org, by Vanessa Barrington, September 2, 2010.
- Sprayed, Stripped and Poisoned, One Town Fights Back… and Wins Change.org, by Ben Proffer, August 27, 2010.
- Photoblog: Women Sowing Change in the Central Valley Women’s Foundation of California Blog. August 20, 2010.
- “Women Leaders of the Central Valley Environmental Justice Movement,” Local Dirt, Producer Alida Cantor. KDVS-FM Davis, CA. June 3, 2008.